New Student Employees


Congratulations on getting a job on campus.  Below you will find information and instructions you will need to make sure you receive you paycheck each pay period so please read carefully.

Attention: Student Employees who are also Foreign Nationals need to follow the instructions on the “For Foreign Nationals” section of the website.


Employee Self Service

Employee Self Service (ESS) is an online resource accessible from anywhere there is an internet connection.  Through ESS you can complete your Direct Deposit enrollment, change your tax withholding, view and print your pay statement and W-2 Wage and Tax Statement and more. To access ESS, log into MyPack Portal using your unity ID and password.  From your MyPack Portal homepgae, click on the “For Faculty & Staff” tab at the top of the page.  You will see “Employee Self Service” in the top, middle portion of the screen.  You access to Employee Self Service should be availalbe on your first day of employment.  If you do not have the “For Faculty & Staff” tab  on your first day, check with your department. They need to enter your “new hire” information into the HR system before you are granted access to Employee Self Service.

Please take a few moments to review the Employee Self Service information page: Employee Self Service


Direct Deposit

All employees are required to provide their bank account information so that the University can deposit their pay directly into their account(s). No “paper” checks will be issued. On your first day of employment you can provide this information via Employee Self Service. Visit New Student-Employee Onboarding for more information.

To Enroll:
1. Log into MyPack Portal
2. Click on Employee Self Service > Payroll and Compensation > Direct Deposit
3. Click “Add Account” (if only one account is entered, delete the second row) and select Checking or Savings as the Account type (up to three accounts can be entered but one must be designated to receive the Balance)
4. Type in the Routing Number (9-digits) and Account Number and select Balance as the deposit type (if only entering one account)
5. Click Next > Submit > Ok


Tax Withholding

W-4 & NC-4 Tax Withholding Forms

Note: The following does not apply to Foreign Nationals. Please see the Instructions for New Foreign National Employees for the appropriate information. 

Upon hire, the tax withholding for all new employees, including student employees, is set to marital status = Single and number of personal allowances = 0.

If you want to claim Single, 0 for both federal and state tax purposes, you do not need to do anything.

If you wish to claim something other than Single, 0 you will need to make the change via ESS.

NOTE: If you will be working in a state other than North Carolina you must contact University Payroll (919-515-4350) for the correct state tax form.

If you are unsure as to what you should claim, you can review the instructions or  discuss the matter with your parents or a tax adviser.


Social Security & Medicare Taxes

The IRS provides a special exemption for students that work on campus commonly known as the student exemption to FICA tax. It states that FICA (Social Security & Medicare) taxes do not apply to service performed by students employed by a school, college or university where the student is pursuing a course of study. North Carolina State University has interpreted this regulation to mean that a student must work less than 30 hours per week and be enrolled at least ½ time – 6 hours for undergraduate students and 3 hours for graduate students during the fall and spring semesters and 3 hours for undergraduates and 1 hour for graduates during the summer semester. If you do not meet BOTH of these criteria, Social Security and Medicare taxes will be withheld from your paycheck.

Important information about FICA exempt wages earned as a student on campus:

  • The wages will not be included in wage calculation if and when you apply for unemployment benefits.
  • The wages are not reported as Social Security wages and will not be included in any wage calculation for Social Security or Disability benefits.


W-2 Year End Wage & Tax Statement

In January of each year, the University will provide you with a W-2 Wage and Tax Statement for the prior calendar (tax) year. Due to IRS regulation the University is required to print your W-2 and mail it to your home UNLESS you tell us you prefer to receive your W-2 electronically via ESS and that you do not want us to mail you a paper copy.

Please review the “Quick Training” Payroll Tax video below for instructions for completing your Online W-4 and NC-4 forms and for changing your preference from paper to electronic W-2.

Those employees who change their preference from paper to electronic will receive an email when the form is available for viewing and printing in ESS, usually by January 15th. Those who wish to receive a paper copy should see it in their mailbox the first week of February. Visit New Student-Employee Onboarding for more information.



Pay Schedule

All Student employees are paid bi-weekly  (every other week), usually on a Friday unless Friday is a University holiday.   Employees paid on the bi-weekly payroll are paid two weeks in arrears.

A list of paydays and the pay periods they cover is available on the payroll website.
Student Biweekly Payroll Schedule


Additional Information/Links

How to View and Print your Pay statement